Sunday, November 29, 2009

Nitzer Ebb at the Urban Lounge, SLC

So, last Tuesday Nitzer Ebb came to Salt Lake's Urban Lounge, the bar specializing in crappy sound and lighting - two things you always want at your concerts. I keep getting sucked back into that place, because superb bands keep playing there, which is frustrating because I hate that place, but love the bands, and know there are better venues they could and should play at. But I have to admit that the shows I've seen there have been really spectacular, showing the incredible power and skill of the bands to overcome the wretched conditions they have to work with. But you still always wonder how it could have been if they'd played somewhere else.

Anyway, I digress.

Nitzer Ebb was tremendous. Douglas McCarthy is one intense dude, with some furious stage presence. I had a heck of a time trying to get a good picture of him, because the man just wouldn't hold still. His movements were decisive, confident, focused, and by no means frantic. He was in control the whole time, heightening the show's intensity level with his theatrics and Corporate Man attire, amping the audience up with his gestures and fervor, giving everyone the show they'd hoped for.

As they performed "Getting Closer", from their album Showtime, I managed to get one picture I was very happy with. This very lucky picture conveys, to me, quite a bit of what the show was and what Nitzer Ebb is all about.


There also happens to be some folks out there who got some video of the show. Here's a nice recording of "Getting Closer", possibly shot by the camera you see bottom center in my picture. The sound is a bit distorted, probably due to proximity to the speakers, but still not bad. The camera position is great for capturing Douglas and Bon, who only stepped out from behind his equipment to sing this song, as they work their performing magic. Notice Bon lose his mic cable and recover it without really breaking stride.


And for those looking for other recordings of that night's "Getting Closer" performance, they are here as follows:

1) The video featuring, frame right, my camera and brief glimpses of myself, grooving away next to the coolest fan I've ever had the privilege to stand by at a show. He's the headbanging cat whose hair I've got in half my pictures.

2) The video behind me, where my hat-clad head is in the bottom of the frame. And we get more of my favorite fan.

3) The video showcasing more audience than band and the Urban Lounge's crappy sound.

After all these years Nitzer Ebb has still got it.

2 comments:

Kylie McQ said...

I do so enjoy the embedded links you have in all your posts. Way to have technology skillz.

It almost makes me wish I'd been there! Almost. Not quite. Still, nice post. And excellent picture.

Jon said...

So you watched the video? Ha!

I have a lurking suspicion that had you been there, you would have found the whole scene quite cute.

And thanks for the techie compliment. You know how in love with the technologies I am.