Saturday, September 15, 2012

Final Spell EP by Visigoth



I just listened to Visigoth for the first time tonight and am very impressed. This Salt Lake City-based act has a very solid sound; nice and epic, with plenty of emphasis on power and heroics not uncommon to metal's long relationship with fantastic and mythological themes. Such thematic in metal might be pretty old hat and there are lots of bands out there that milk it for all its worth. For my part, I found Visigoth's treatment to be a good one -- genuine and sincere, without pretense. Their skill as musicians is obvious, but they also show the potential for something just different enough, or just well-executed enough, to set them apart from the pack. For anyone looking for a fresh, young band, Visigoth's Final Spell EP is a great primer, with "Seven Golden Ships" as the (current) stand-out track. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for an LP. I wish these guys luck and hope they'll be around a while.

4 comments:

mateicho1 said...

I like this. They're a21 SLC band?

Jon said...

Yep, a real SLC metal band (there are more of them out there than I realized). They're definitely in love with the classic 80s metal sound. Glad you like em, Matt.

I saw another SLC metal act, called Cornered by Zombies, this summer that I also liked. They're a different beast though: a guitarist and drummer who play a nice and thrashy instrumental brand of metal.

Metal has been my current musical obsession, thanks to my master's thesis and my thesis adviser, who is a true life-long metalhead. This has been an exciting adventure so far. I'll try to post more of my finds, but I make no promises that any of them will be as accessible as Visigoth.:)

mateicho1 said...

I will listen to Cornered by Zombies and let you know if I find them accessible as well.

Jon said...

Yeah, I'd love to hear what you think, be it praise or criticism. If you've got some music recommendations, I'd love to hear them too.