Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mucha Coming to My Room

Yesterday I spent more money than I was planning on. But I think it was for a good cause - it was to frame the above set of decorative panels by Alphonse Mucha, one of my favorite artists. This set is titled: Times of Day; and features Morning, Day, Evening, and Night. For some reason the above series is shown here in reverse order, which is weird - why wouldn't you want them in the right order? At the moment, Times of Day is my favorite set. Though that could change any time; he has a lot of really beautiful sets.

I've slowly collected a few pictures that I've really wanted to get framed, but this is the first time I've actually bought a frame for any of my pictures. When I was in Prague in 2008, I bought a collection of Mucha prints that contains several of these four-panel sets. So, to avoid having to buy a billion frames, or just let stuff sit unframed for forever, I bought a frame with colors neutral enough that several of the Mucha sets will work with this frame. So it's kinda like buying a frame for twelve or sixteen pictures instead of just four. So I think things worked out pretty well.

I suspect it'll be several years before I get anything framed again, which is fine. Frames are expensive and I just don't have the cash to be framing tons of stuff. But also, moving framed pictures is way lamer than moving unframed pictures; and while some of you might scoff at the thought, eventually I will move to someplace new. But I kinda felt it was time for Mucha to come out of the box and get on the wall. It'll be a nice addition to the wall.

No comments: