Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ed van der Elsken's Hong Kong

I've been looking at Phaidon's little book of Ed van der Elsken photographs, and this one really caught my attention. A cityscape like this is a bit rare for him, which might be part of why the picture stuck out to me; but I also just think it's a really awesome picture.

This copy of the picture isn't the best, but it's the best I could find. Check out those layers and how he's caught the boats at just the right moment. The haze and infrastructure are really something too. The city looks like something from Fritz Lang's Metropolis, but a lot dirtier. So maybe it's more like a combination of Metropolis and Blade Runner, with a dash of The Fifth Element. Anyway, I really like this picture and felt like sharing.

5 comments:

mateicho1 said...

i like it. I even like the fact that the copy isn't the best, I feel like it adds to it somehow. cool stuff.

Mike said...

Well I think it's rubbish. In fact, I think photography is rubbish.
Hmmmm... Aw, no I don't.

Maybe what Hong Kong (or Elsken?) needs is an enslaved fetishized female Messiah... That might clean it up a bit.

Kylie McQ said...

Good grief, that's gorgeous. I love the boats. But also the cityscape and the weird angles and especially the awesome boats.

Jon said...

Mike, where can I get one of those enslaved fetishized female Messiahs? What even is that? I'm trying to develop a mental picture and it's not working. What I'm thinking is that van der Elsken really shoulda HDRed this thing; that woulda solved all this picture's problems.

Matt, I agree that the grungyness really does add quite a bit to the picture.

Kylie, yes the boats are quite cool. It's all cool, I think.

Jon said...

And now that I've thought about it for two seconds, I've realized that you're referring to Metropolis (not some photo you took over the weekend). Duh. Hey look! I'm in film school! And only own two versions of that film. Well, now I have a VERY clear image of what an enslaved fetishized female Messiah looks like. Whore of Babylon, here we come!